Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My Novel: Chapter 29

Chapter 29 is below. Skim my personal notes or scroll down to continue reading.

Running:
I never know what I'll see when I run, even though I regularly take the same routes. Because I have to look at the ground--you know--judge the distance between me and a pothole, not trip over orange cones, not stumble over trash cans, determine what is abandoned cables wire or just a stick and not trip, etc., I see a lot of things below knee level. Baby binkies, pencils and pens, lost keys, banana peels with tire marks, a fried egg and toast, you name it. Sometimes the litter makes me laugh. Not so much when it's McDonald drink cups and assorted trash.

Writing:
A story is a story, right? Sure, but it's more fun to create if it's littered with twists and turns and something unexpected around each corner. Writing tip: Include surprises. We may dislike drama in our best friend's life, but crave it in the protagonist's. Get her up a tree in a hail storm with wolves howling around the base and toss in some lightning. Yesssss! We love that kind of drama. And then we knock the tree over in a flash flood just at the flashing lights come around the corner and the handsome hero is nearing in his firetruck? Come on! Give her a break! Nope. Make her swim.


I love polka dots--love, love, love! So when I found them scattered on the ground during a morning walk I stooped down to pick a few up to discover their origins. Mother Nature lovingly had strewn them in my path. So many smiles on a cloudy day!


Secrets at Midnight
Leona Palmer Haag
Chapter 29



“You okay?” Matt whispered. She didn't reply so he pushed inside the cabin and bolted the door behind him before lowering his pack. “I didn't mean to be gone so long. Sorry.” He stepped past her. “I'm starving.”

Jenn grabbed his arm, halting his progress. “Take off your shoes.”          

He squatted and untied his shoes and pulled them off.

“Don't take another step if there's a speck of dirt anywhere on you.”

He began unbuckling his belt, but Jenn stopped him. “Not in here.” She unbolted the door, opened it and shoved him out, then pushed it shut and locked it again.

“You've seen a guy in his shorts,” he called out.

“Yeah, but I don't want to tonight,” came her muffled reply in the darkness.

He stared at the thick wood and shook his head. “I'm not out to flash you.”

“And I'm not out to mop the floor again.”

He heaved a sigh. “All of my things are inside. Toss something out.”

A moment later the door opened and his bag landed at his feet. Jenn shut the door again, but he didn't hear the bolt move. He quickly changed, then pushed the door open and stepped out of the cold. “What's for dinner?”

“Tuna sandwiches. Yours is in the cooler. Bananas are on the table.”

Matt turned on his flashlight and found super. He sat on the sofa to eat and looked around. He caught the puffiness around Jenn's eyes, but said nothing. “Where are you sleeping tonight?” he asked instead.

She shrugged. “All the sheets and blankets are damp, the floor upstairs is filthy and the Jeep is uncomfortable. I'll probably stay up all night.”
            “Try this sofa. It's not bad.”

“I'm sure there are mice droppings between the cushions. There's a vacuum in the closet, but no power. Smart, huh?”

“You want to vacuum tonight?”

“No. I want a bubble bath and a massage and everything else I can't have, but that's nothing new.”

Matt leaned back into the sofa and sighed. “I know. I'd like those things too.” He stood up. “I'll check on the bubble bath problem in the morning. In the meantime, I'll sleep on this sofa unless you claim it, in which case, I'll take that one.”

“Which is best?”

He shrugged. “We’ve only been here one night so I’ve only checked out this one.”

Jenn ran her hand over one cushion. “I'll take this one, but I'm sure I'll have to be deliced when I get home.”

“Do you need your bags?”

“No, I'm roughing it.”

He headed for the door anyway. “Don't lock me out.”

When he got back, Jenn took the flashlight and bags to the bathroom. She emerged a few minutes later wearing two nightgowns over a pair of pajamas and her feet bundled in multiple pairs of socks. She stuffed her jeans inside a t-shirt for a pillow and huddled on her chosen sofa with Katie in her arms.

 “Do you want my sweatshirt,” he asked.

“No. I'm tough,” she murmured.

He laid it across her shoulders and tucked his spare t-shirts around her legs and feet.

End Chapter 29

I've got good news and bad news. First the good news: We're closing in on my novel's halfway point. Yippie! Now the bad news: busyness in my life is about to crank up ten notches. I promise I'll post as many chapters as I can in the next few days, and I'll still try to reach my finish goal date of Thanksgiving or the end of November.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment