Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I'm Really Not Disappointed, But I Am...

Things happen. Not always the best or funnest kinds of things. If you know that, and live with it as part of your reality, it doesn't hurt as much when disappointments spring out and grab you unawares.

I got a few disappointments today. It started with a trip to a nearby mall to visit Sears to return a dishwasher part. I was informed I needed to take it to their parts store, but they're not open on Wednesday. Huh? A business other than a dentist closes mid-week? There was nothing I could do but live with it and plan another long day of errands across town. (I'll include something fun and rewarding when I venture out next time. Like new shoes, or a Dr. Pepper, or both.)

Next came the appointment to buy a new home. Yes, I said buy! I'd looked at the charming little cottage with my realtor the evening before. That night my sweet husband and I talked about it and decided yes, we could live there quite comfortably. I texted my realtor and gave him the happy news. This morning me and my realtor went shopping, only to learn we were too late?!? So it's back to the hunt we go, and that doesn't thrill me. You see, yesterday I saw many, many homes, and more grunge and filth than a sane person should have to witness in an entire lifetime. Especially in a home. More especially in homes for sale! Ugg! Disgusting!
 
This is where I currently live--right on the bottom level with a sidewalk 18-inches from my living room windows (and 3 bedroom windows, for that matter). I love it here, but this was never planned as a long-term resting place, just a temporary landing pad. So yes, I'm a little disappointed in today's news, but not really. That hints of denial, I know, and maybe it is, but the fact is: There's no tracking down the  buyer who snatched away my dream, and if I could, why would I want to attempt to convince them to back out of their own dream? I'm sure we'll find another dream, and maybe it will be better and we'll act faster next time. In the meantime, I'm still fluffing my little nest. First up, the master bathroom. Probably because it's small and would take the least effort.
Everything in my Pleasant Little Palace is (or was) beige. Not fresh clean beige, but a dirty, dingy shade of beige. The ceiling, walls, trim, doors, window blinds, countertops, etc. Can someone drown in a sea of beige? Yes! If they don't shut their eyes every once in a while or don't paint. I started by painting the trim in the tiny master bathroom crisp, clean white. I love it! It adds enough pizazz that I may not need to paint the doors. (Smile, smile, cheer!)
I bought this linen cabinet through Home Decorators Collection and my son helped me assemble it. It seriously took us 2 hours, or maybe five minutes less than that. The next day I learned you can order it through the Home Depot and they ship it for free to their stores. It's a heavy box, so beware if you buy one and have to pick it up. I paid shipping and saved on taxes, so I paid an extra $12 to have it delivered inside my front door, which was worth it. Which brings me to disappointment number three. I stopped at the Home Depot this morning to buy a wall mount medicine cabinet I'd found online. They had 1 in stock, so I was lucky! It was smudged on the front, so I wiped it clean. I tried to heft it into my cart. Umm, I'm not supposed to lift much, and that weighed much, so I stopped hefting. Anyway, I noticed another smudge and decided to not waste more time or spit or another tissue on it. (Why was the front packaged so it could be damaged, marred and possibly ruined?) I left empty handed, except for the 4 new house keys I had cut before I tried to heft something furniture-like. (Yes, orange-vested employees will help you, but with that 2nd smudge, I chose to not track one down.)

Back to my Palace: I own a handicapped unit, so I'm blessed with bigger bathrooms and a larger laundry room than the other units. It's nice, extremely nice, until I want to walk around my bed. Then it's knee-knocking cramped! But how often do I walk around my bed? Okay, too much it seems, now that it's complicated and I notice when I bang things, like my knees on the footboard. But there are payoffs. Due to the grab bars in the bathroom I have a built in hand towel hanger. Sweet! And space to dance in the bathroom. Fun! (Yes, I've danced in there--to Brad Paisley.) After I added the white cabinet, a fresh aqua rug, and towels, it became charming. Best News: The beige has been tamed. (Banishment isn't always necessary.) Next Best News :Overflow stuff is tucked away.

Now I have a request: If you're selling a home in the near future in my area, in my price range, and it's clean and lacks an overload of beige, please put it on the market right away and invite me and my realtor and a blank contract waiting to be filled in, and my earnest money check over for a visit. Optional: Having freshly baked cookie aromas wafting through the kitchen. I prefer sugar cookies!

Okay family, is this helping satisfy your request
for pictures of my little abode?





No comments:

Post a Comment