Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Color Brown

Have you ever looked at the color brown? I have at least five different shades of it on the walls of my home, and that doesn't count all the hue changes cast by sunlight and shadows. I'm talking five (FIVE!) shades of brown paint in one house.

Hop aboard and I'll take you on a little house tour. First stop: The master bedroom and bath. Meet Sherwin Williams Divine White. It's not white, but a pale cool brown shade. See how "dark" it looks up by my white ceiling and white sheers? I have it in two whole rooms: bedroom and attached bathroom. It's soft, quiet, calm, relaxing and fresh. I'll probably use it in my next home.

Next stop: the exact opposite shade. I love my dark chocolate brown--my favorite flavor. It's called Nuthatch, and I love it. I left my comfy computer chair to find the paint can in order to share that detail. This deep brown gives the same soft quiet calm whether during a freezing winter storm or on a scorching summer day. It's in my kitchen, on two of my great room walls, and in a bedroom.







Parts of my house have other brown shades, so let's continue the tour. The dining "sun" room has Bittersweet Root. It's also in an upstairs bedroom, the halls, a bathroom and the laundry room. It has the same softness, in my humble opinion, and offers good contrast to white trim and doesn't overpower any accent colors but provides them with a perfect setting. My son's bedroom is this color and offsets his black furniture and the white trim well. Gotta love that!






Now comes the fun where colors meet colors at corners and with greater variety. Let's descend the stairs. The white column separating two colors was hard to photograph in a way that shows both the changes of browns, or their sameness. That's good, because I didn't want the exact same color downstairs, but a happy union where they met. The lower left portion of the photo is a called Kilm Beige, and the other sections are Bittersweet Stem. Most of the basement is Kilm Beige except....




...except for the bathroom and this room. The room below is Muslin. It's lighter and has a yellowish cast. It's pretty nondescript, and isn't that the object--to not make the walls stand out as if they should steal all the glory in a room? Like, let the room be glorious with and despite the walls?

That brings me to the purpose of this post. I'm deep into staging my home to sell. Should I paint this room? This serves as a combined office that I share with my adult son. I'm seriously tired of the color. I've had it covering walls in this house and a house from 17 years ago. Is that enough Muslin, I'm wondering? 

They say when you stage a house you should use neutral colors. I'm debating whether I should go through the work, expense and time to paint this room, or leave it. Who knows--don't some, or most, or at least a few home buyers repaint anyway? That's what I did. Maybe I'm not the usual, though.

So here comes the fun part: My son works from home, therefore, he practically lives in the office. I only visit when I find time or have to do something like keep up on records like budgeting or taxes. My son also works as a photo editor. He plays with colors on his computer all day long. And lines. And perfection. Being his mom, I asked for a tiny favor. Rather than grab a tester can of paint, I emailed a photo to him to play with. 

Without leaving home, or spending a penny, and after only ten seconds of my son's time, I'm now playing with a bluish shade of grey...


And a purer shade of blue...



What do you think?

Two shades: that's all my son would put up with. He skipped every other color I requested, and I never mentioned pink. "Mom! Please don't make me help you paint," he begged. I know it also meant, "Please don't make me unplug all the computers and printers and move furniture and hook everything back up when we're done. Please don't put my work behind schedule and interrupt my gaming time. Please, please, please, have mercy on me, mom!"

I have a lot to think about after I post this and leave my happy little office to brush a second coat of paint over the touch-up spots I've been working on around the house today.

Note: All paint is Sherwin Williams. The white trim is Alabaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment